Hiring a design and consulting engineer could be the key to your next development’s success. Choosing the right civil engineer could save you a lot of time and hassle, thanks to their problem-solving expertise in everything from how the natural environment might affect your project to the best building materials to use. If you’re new to working with civil engineers, however, you might not know what to look for when you’re seeking design and consulting services in Idaho. Here’s an overview of some of the top qualities and certifications that your design and consulting engineering firm should possess:
- Education: The first thing you should look for is your engineer’s education. They should have received a degree from an accredited institution in civil engineering or a similar field. Similarly, you’ll want to make sure they are fully licensed in your county and state and that their license is up to date.
- Experience: Experience matters. Although that doesn’t mean you can’t hire newer engineers, it’s smart to hire a team that has senior engineers on staff who have worked on a wide variety of projects. Be sure to review a firm’s project portfolio to ensure they’ve worked on similar developments. Membership in civil engineering organizations also guarantees a certain level of education and experience. For example, Mason & Associates is a proud member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Licenses and certifications: In addition to making sure your engineers have up-to-date, valid licenses, they can also earn additional certifications that make them more desirable for your project. If energy efficiency is a concern, for example, you could look for someone who has designed LEED-certified (Leadership in Environmental Energy and Design) buildings or is a Certified Energy Manager.
- Cost: Naturally, cost will come into play, but cheaper isn’t always better. The cost of hiring a civil engineering firm is usually a very small percentage of a project’s overall price tag. On the other hand, selecting the right firm for your venture, especially when they have the right qualifications and certifications, can increase your time savings, value and overall efficiency.
- Professionalism: Professionalism is a quality that can be hard to pinpoint, but you’ll know it when you experience it. You can expect a great civil engineering firm to respond to your inquiries promptly, explain their suggestions and treat you as a valued member of the team.
If you have questions about whether Mason & Associates is right for your next project, call us today.
Design and consulting services in Idaho
Mason & Associates has been Idaho’s top civil engineering firm for over 30 years. Our expertise includes surveying, construction staking, land development projects and land platting for subdivisions, among other areas. We can help you throughout the entire process or consult on an as-needed basis. Whether you’re building a single structure or want to create an entire subdivision, our highly-skilled team can provide you with the design and consulting services your Idaho project needs. Get in touch with us today to get started.