Hiring a civil engineer can be a stressful process, especially if you have a lot of candidates to sort through and if there are other businesses, agencies, municipalities or individuals in need of civil engineering work that you’re competing against.
So how can you ensure you’re recruiting a high-quality engineer for your job in a timely manner? Here are some tips to consider when hiring a civil engineer in Idaho:
- Have a firm deadline in place: If you don’t set a target date or deadline for yourself with your recruitment, it’s easy for those timelines to start to slip out of your control. An open-ended search process could result in you losing momentum and high-quality candidates. Therefore, add a sense of urgency by introducing deadlines to ensure you’re staying focused on your recruitment and that your candidates stay focused on the opportunity you’re providing.
- Make sure everyone involved is on board: Everyone involved with the recruitment process should be completely on board with and committed to the timelines and deadlines you put in place. If key decision makers are unable to attend certain interviews or do not review candidate lists within a reasonable amount of time, it’s easy for your hiring processes to hit a wall. Therefore, get everyone entirely committed to the process for the short window of time you have to bring in an engineer.
- Make sure candidates have plenty of information: While you’re probably going to be focused on getting as much information as you can about the candidates, it’s equally important to give the candidates plenty of information about your company and the job opportunity. You should really be selling yourself to them just as much as they are selling themselves to you. Offer a detailed description of the job and duties, give a thorough background of the company and the vision you have moving forward, and provide a good sense of company culture.
- Display your excitement: If you are clearly passionate about the opportunity you have to offer potential engineers, they will be much more likely to be excited about being a part of it.
- Personalize the interview: You should tailor your interview processes to each individual candidate who comes through your doors. Do this by thoroughly reviewing the candidate’s resume and prepare talking points based on their experiences and strengths. This will give you much more insight into whether or not the candidate will be the right fit for your engineering position.
- Research agency background: If you’re hiring an engineering company or agency, you should be sure to get plenty of background about the company and the kind of work it has done in the area. Get as many testimonials as you can, and look for special certifications, awards or recognitions.
These are just a few tips that will help you ensure you get the right engineer for your job. For more information about hiring a civil engineer in Idaho, we encourage you to contact our team at Mason & Associates today.